Effective immediately (10/21/15)
Please visit BMR- DALP Down Payment Assistance Loan Program link for BMR loan assistance BMR DALP, regardless of its funding source, has one uniform application and no longer requires an application fee. (See household's Conditional Approval Letter for compatibility with Mortgage Credit Certificate Program; MCC fee is NOT waived)
MOHCD will only be accepting loan applications electronically for all 1400 Mission transactions. (BMR DALP, MCC, Lender Closing Checklist etc.) Please contact MOHCD staff for details.
MOHCD will not be accepting loan applications from December 4, 2015 through January 1, 2016. We will resume business as usual beginning January 4, 2016.
Beginning January 4, 2016, MOHCD only accepting digital loan packages through our Salesforce database! This will become the only way to submit loan files to the City-MOHCD. If you do not have a log-on ID and password, please email Ruth Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org. After you have uploaded the ORIGINAL PDF (as opposed to a faxed or photograph) of the documents as listed on Loan Transmittal Form, please email MOHCD staff to confirm your submissions.
The following programs can be used to assist you in the purchase of a first home in San Francisco.
Please click through and read all the information carefully before contacting our office.
FUNDING BALANCES AS OF APRIL 2015
- First Responders Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (FRDALP) - Provides downpayment assistance loans to active uniformed, sworn members of the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD), San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) and San Francisco Sheriff's Department (SFSD) to purchase their first home in the City and County of San Francisco.
- Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (DALP) - A loan program for low to moderate income first time homebuyers purchasing a market rate single family home in San francisco. DALP is a silent second loan that requires no payments for 40 years.
- City Second Loan Program - A loan program for eligible first time homebuyers purchasing a home within specific developments that has no interest and deferred payment. This loan sits in second position on title after the first mortgage and can be repaid at any time without penalty.
- Teacher Next Door Program (TND) - A loan program to assist teachers employed with the San Francisco Unified School District in purchasing a first home in San Francisco. This loan is forgiven after 10 years provided all program requirements are met. Can be used in the purchase of a BMR unit.
- Police In The Community Program (PIC) - A downpayment assistance loan program for San Francisco police officers purchasing a first home in San Francisco. Borrowers must provide verification of employment with the SFPD as an officer in good standing. Can be used in the purchase of a BMR unit.
- Mortgage Credit Certificate Program (MCC) - A program to assist first time homebuyers in San Francisco. An MCC assists eligible homebuyers in their ability to qualify for a mortgage loan and reduce thier effective mortgage interest rate. Can be used in the purchase of a BMR unit.
- Reissue Mortgage Credit Certificate Program (RMCC) - IRS regulations allow exisitng recipients of MCCs to refinance their original mortgage loans on their principal residence and obtain a new MCC with a tax credit at the same rate as their original MCC.
- BMR-DALP Downpayment Assistance Program - A downpayment loan program for first time home buyers purchasing a Below Market Rate unit that requires no monthly payment and accrues no interest.
- Refinancing and Subordination - Eligible City loans or Below Market Rate (BMR) liens can be subordinated to the refinance of the existing first mortgage for a lower interest rate and better loan term with no cash equity out of the property.
- Workshops & Lender Trainings - Mortgage Loan Officers (MLO) or mortgage brokers who would like to become participating lenders for MOHCD's homeownership programs, including DALP, MCC, PIC and TND must complete the required training and pay the required fee. Each individual MLO or mortgage broker must complete the training every year. All participating loan agents must must provide their NMLS ID# to MOH and sign the Lender Participation Agreement.
- Homebuyer Education Counseling Agencies - Click here for the list of approved homebuyer eduction counseling agencies. Attending a counseling education class is required for first-time homebuyer seeking a City Loan. Classes tend to fill up quickly and often require two or more meetings so if you're considering applying for a City Loan, don't delay. You may use your first-time homebuyer certificate to apply for any of the Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development first-time homebuyer programs for up to two years from the date of issuance.
Please Be Advised that the Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development is implementing Program Administration Fees (click here for details).
* Please note loan officers named on loan application forms should match loan officers named on the Final Mortgage Loan Application (form 1003). See MOHCD Participating Lender List.